If your PS4 is not coming on at all, this could either be the power supply itself that is faulty and needs to be replaced or there is a problem on the main board itself.
In this post, I will be discussing the problem if your power supply itself is faulty, this is for all PS4 models.
If the PS4 is just dead
If your PS4 is completely dead, this is the power supply that needs to be replaced.
This is not to say that the power supply itself is the only problem with the PS4?
There are times that if the power supply blew due to lightning, there could be a problem with the HDMI circuit too.
This usually occurs when the lightning came through the HDMI port and blew the PS4’s power supply.
If the PS4 comes on and just goes off
If your PS4 comes on but goes off immediately, this could also just be the power supply.
You would often hear a click sound in the PS4 just before it goes off.
Here are some steps to follow to do the test.
- Plug out the power cable and the HDMI cable in the back, we don’t need the HDMI cable for this test.
- Plug in the power cable into the PS4 again.
- Wait about 30 seconds.
- Press the power button once to switch the PS4 on and listen if you hear the clicking noise?
- Then once the PS4 goes off again, try and press the power button again.
- If the PS4 doesn’t try and come on again or even make the beep sound, the plug out the power cable from the PS4 again.
- Wait 30 seconds and plug it back in.
- Press the power button again.
- If it tried to switch on again and made the beep sound and just went off again. Then your power supply is faulty.
The steps above was a quick test to see if your power supply is faulty.
As mentioned above, even if the power supply is faulty, this doesn’t mean that there is nothing else that might have blown inside the PS4 on the main board too.
Cost of the repair
To get a free automated estimate to replace the power supply on your PS4 console, please fill in the form at the bottom of this page.
Even if the shape is the same, they still differ in cost. If you look for the model number on your PS4 console we can give you the most accurate estimate to replace the power supply.
Time to repair
The repair takes about 5 minutes to change out the power supply. If you pop into our workshop, we can just change it out quickly to see if only the power supply is faulty.
If we can then get it to switch on, we will test all the other items to see if they still work correctly.
Cost for diagnosis
We don’t charge for diagnosis on any of our repairs. We have a motto at Console Service Centre, “if we didn’t successfully repair your PS4 console we cannot charge you?”
Many companies will charge you just for booking in your console to do an assessment, or they charge you for looking at your console.
We have never done this since 2011 and we will never do this either!